Prof Heffernan is always passing out folders with information about ASSISTments. This page is to give electronic copies of papers that we include in that folder. If you would like to download the entire twenty-seven page contents with one click, click here for a PDF
Right Side of the folder showing Research Results and Grants
Most Recently Awarded Grants
- A recent grant to develop an early warning system when student start to become disengaged with science and math.
- Next Generation Learning Challenge whose primary funder is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Taking advantage of Cognitive Science Principles: Adding to a Computer-Based tutor an Automatic Reassessment and Relearning System found here.
Research Articles with Empirical Results Showing ASSISTments works
Here is an article that shows ASSISTmetns dramatically increases student knowledge when used for homework compared to traditional homework (feedback the next day).
- Mendicino, M., Razzaq, L. & Heffernan, N. T. (2009) Comparison of Traditional Homework with Computer Supported Homework: Improving Learning from Homework Using Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Journal of Research on Technology in Education (JRTE). Published by the International Society For Technology in Education (ISTE). PDF
Study showing students that used Assistments learned more on a State Test
In this paper we report on the finding that schools that used ASSISTments learned more on the state test compared to a school in the same city that did not adopt ASSISTments.
- Koedinger, K., McLaughlin, E. & Heffernan, N. (in press) A Quasi-Experimental Evaluation of an On-line Formative Assessment and Tutoring System. Journal of Educational Computing Research. Baywood Publishing. PDF
We did two studies that showed benefits of a parent notification system we build. Download a single page summary.
- Broderick, Z., O’Connor, C., Mulcahy, C., Heffernan, N. & Heffernan, C. (accepted). Increasing Parent Engagement in Student Learning Using an Intelligent Tutoring System. Journal of Interactive Learning Research (Page numbers are pending). PDF
- Broderick, Z., DeNolf, K., Dufault, J., Heffernan, N. & Heffernan, C (submitted) Increasing Parent Engagement in Student Learning Using an Intelligent Tutoring System with Automated Messages. Journal of Interactive Learning Research. PDF
The Automatic Reassessment and Relearning System
Download a one page summary of the positive results of using the [[ARRS|Automatic Reassessment and Relearning System.]
- Heffernan, N., Heffernan, C., Dietz, K., Soffer, D., Pellegrino, J. W., Goldman, S. R. & Dailey, M. (submitted) Cognitively-Based Instructional Design Principles: A Technology for Testing their Applicability via Within-Classroom Randomized Experiments Submitted to the Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness 2011 Fall Conference pdf
Recently Submitted Grants
Left Side showing a summary, press and handouts showing what the system looks like
Map of Districts using ASSISTments in 2010-11
For a Word document of this information for Maine and Massachusetts click here
See how ASSISTments came to be, read the History of ASSISTments
District Administrator Magazine ran a piece on Educational Data Mining and ASSISTments was highlighted. (March, 2011).
Here is a PDF of a brochure produced by WPI's Marketing and Communications division.
Click on the link below each poster to get a full size.