Most Recent Press
Bangor Daily News on our Maine grant. 
We just a webinar for the Maine Learning Technology Initiative to explain to principals and teachers what ASSISTments is. You can watch the recording. https://stateofmaine.adobeconnect.com/_a827390218/p6sz6w5zl56
New York Times article hails ASSISTments
- ASSISTments was featured in a New York Times Sunday Magazine article. Read the story here online.
Major Media Coverage
- Neil Heffernan gave an hour long talk at Columbia's Teachers College. If you want to watch the talk click here.
- Neil was inteviewed a few weeks ago by RANDA. Listen to the podcast .
- EdWeek July 2012
- Columbia University Teachers College Magazine - May 17, 2012 - ASSISTments was featured in an article.
- WPI Research Magazine Unleashing the Potential ASSISTments Article
- Boston Herald - May 12, 2012 - Professor Heffernan had an opinion piece for why our nation needs to provide immediate feedback to students on their nightly homework.
- "Here and Now" by Robin Young as part of a National Public Radio show on June 21, 2011. She interviewed Professor Heffernan.
- The Boston Globe - May 5, 2011 - Yvonne Abraham's column on the back story behind the creation of ASSISTments. Click here for the article (and the song)
Major US Department of Education Reports
- National Educational Technology Plan - November 2010 - Arne Duncan announces the National Educational Technology Plan. The plan cites ASSISTments.
- Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Educational Data Mining and Learning Analytics draft published by the Office of Educational Technology of the US Department of Education. This reports has a whole page on ASSISTments (see page 22 [page 31 of the of the PDF]). The version that came out in Feb 2013 is here
- We are cited in the new US Department of Education called "Promoting Grit, Tenacity, and Perseverance—Critical Factors for Success in the 21st Century". See here.
Recent Press Coverage
- Walpole Times - February 16, 2012 - "Walpole teachers get an 'assist' from homework software" by Veronica Hamlett
- Hometown Weekly - February 17, 2012 - "ASSISTing Students in School Proves to be Beneficial" by Lindsay Budnik
- The Daily Grafton - January 23, 2011 - "Grafton Students Get a Hand from ASSISTments" - Thienpoint Article
- Maine Association for Middle Level Education Winter 2012 Newsletter (see page 5)
- The NAESP announced a Partnershipwith ASSISTments
- The Metro West Daily News - October 3, 2011 - "Homework program catches on in MetroWest" by Scott O'Connell. Read it here.
- The Worcester Telegram - June 16, 2011 - On $500,000 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant received.
- Schools.com - March 3, 2011 - Web-based Tutor Gives Math Class A New Feel. Available here: story and an easy to print version here.
- District Administrator Magazine - March 2011 - What is Your Data Integration Strategy? - This story highlighted Educational Data Mining and ASSISTments. Available here.
- Neil Heffernan and Cristina Heffernan gave an invited talk at the University of Illinois at Chicago, hosted by Jim Pellegrino and Susan Goldman. Watch the talk here.
- ScienceDaily.com - February 14, 2011 - Year-End Test Scores Significantly Improved in Schools Using Web-based Tutor - Available here:.
- Ellsworth American (Ellsworth, Maine) - January 18. 2011 - Learning Curve - Available here:The Ellsworth American.
- Education Week - December 13, 2010 - Data Mining' Gains Traction in Education ' by Sarah D. Sparks appeared on the front page of Education Week. One of Heffernan's award winning papers is cited.
- Telegram & Gazette - December 4, 2010 - "WPI to help redesign school math curriculum". Available here: JPG
- The Two Towers - Professor Heffernan was featured as Professor the the Week in the WPI student newspaper.
- Older Press is here.
WPI Press Releases
- Department of Education Funds Four-Year Research Evaluation of ASSISTments Mathematics Online Tutoring System.
- Office of Naval Research Release and the UMASS's release.
- WPI Receives $500,000 Award from Gates and Hewlett Foundations' Next Generation Learning Challenges
- WPI Launches a New Graduate Program in Learning Sciences and Technologies
- WPI is a Partner in National Center for Cognition and Mathematics Instruction
- At D.C. Conference, WPI PhD Student Presents Research on How Students Learn at Different Rates
- Award-winning Research at WPI Shows Intelligent Computer Tools Can Improve Education
- Telegram & Gazette Spotlights WPI Research on Intelligent Tutoring Systems
- Massachusetts Association of School Committees Honors Intelligent Tutoring System Developed at WPI
- WPI Receives $1.5 Million NSF Award to Develop Intelligent Tutoring System for Improved Science Education
- WPI Receives $2 Million Award to Develop an Intelligent Tutoring System That Can Improve Math Education
Press inquiries about the ASSISTments system should be directed to Eileen Brangan Mell, WPI Director of Public Relations (+1-508-831-6785, email@example.com).
This page was created by Cristina Heffernan (2011-12).